Suzy was talking to Frenchie in part-English, part-French. A colleague comes along, and speaks a third language to Frenchie. Frenchie replies. Suzy asks what language it was, and they said it was an African dialect. "Frenchie, I had no idea you are fluent in so many languages. Tres bien!"
Frenchie starts to look coy.
"What?" asked Suzy.
"Our culture is very modest," replied Frenchie.
"Lots of people are modest," said Suzy.
"But ... our people are really modest," said Frenchie.
"So .... I can't compliment you on the number of languages you speak?"
"Well you can," said Frenchie, "but I will be embarrassed."
Suzy burst out laughing. "Frenchie, how do you get through annual review? You are required to toot your own horn!"
"C'est difficile," replied Frenchie.
Suzy grinned at Frenchie and said, "You must practice. I want you to say right now -- 'I speak 3 languages.'"
"No," replied Frenchie.
"Why?!" asked Suzy. "It is a fact!"
"No, here is a fact. I speak 5 languages!"
Suzy laughed and said, "You don't look embarrassed now."
Frenchie smiled.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.